Jul 6, 2016

It is YUKATA TIME ★ summer in Japan

It is that time of the year again
 
 
Yukata is a type of summer kimono that we wear in Japan. Long ago this used to be the common summer wear for those who lived in the southern regions of Japan, Today its only accociated with "summer".
 
Summer in Japan has 3 important things.
Matsuri, Hanabi, Obon.
 
Festivals in Japan occur all year, but its a typical summerish thing for festivals to go on. And to a summer festival, people wear Yukata.
 
Fireworks in Japan only happen in the summer time, and unlike some countries we don't light them off to commemerate special days like new years etc, but they are set off as just firework events, sponsored by big companies now, and has always been a part of traditonal culture accross Japan and China (for those who don't know, fireworks origin is china)
 
Obon is often called the festival of the dead. It is time of year where theres Obon festivals heald, and people dance around in a circle (people I mean mostly women), theres traditional folk songs, drums and occationally bingo.
Obon is also the time of year where you go visit the graves of your loved ones who died. Currently I don't have any one close to me whom is burried in Japan, so instead of doing "ohaka mairi", I buy some jelly bellys and have some black tea , to remind me of my passed on relatives.
 

 
 
This is me 5 years ago when I first moved to Tokyo. I am wearing the very first Yukata I ever got (still have), bought to me by my dear friends. I don't have that obi anymore because it is a "manual" obi that just sticks on there, it broke over time but I have since then bought a new pink obi to replace it.
 
Yukata is something every girl should have at least 2 different colours. I honestly think Yukata should be mandatory to attend a festival or fireworks, but maybe I am just too keen on keeping tradtions alive. Ever since a kid I though it was normal to do what you are supposed to do at events.  Costumes on Halloween, Dress up at events where costume is needed, wear a facy dress to a wedding or prom, wear the Japanese soccer team shirt at soccer game etc.

Showing up not dressed takes all the fun out of it. But thats just me. It is the way my mom raised me. That whole go big or go home attitude.


 In the last 5 years I have owned 4 Yukatas. Two of them I bought myself.
This one here <  I almost went broke off of. I miscalculated how much money was in my bank and left myself with 22$ to my name after this one....but it was so pretty I just had to!!!

The one at the top of the page I just bought less than a week ago. I am really happy with it.. It has black and orange so I don't need to re-buy any geta or hair accessories because I already have a bunch with those colours.

1 Yukata was bought for me, but no picture was ever taken. It was bought by one of my old English students to me 3.5 years ago, but it was WAYYYYYYY too big!

I never knew Yukata could come in such size. but apparently they do. It wasn't just the length, but the shoulders were almost double me! It was a shame because it was a nice pattern. The student bought it so suddenly, I didn't try it on or even know they bought it. They just brought it to the lesson so it couldn't be helped.  Rule of thumb, never buy a present for someone that they need to try on, otherwise it might not be good size ^^.


This summer I am kicking it off. I love summer. Love the hot weather. Beach, Hiking, Festival, Fireworks! This is the good life ^^

So anyway, for those who are interested in buying Yukata and knowing how to put it on, I have two videos I made ^^








 

3 comments:

  1. You've been there so long, that parts of this read like it went through a translation..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just like you. I think that we have to wear clothe that goes with the event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only want to throw firecrackers, but also throwing bombs. They threw firecrackers in order to attract the attention of others, confuse the enemy; throwing bombs is my real purpose. However, I can not tell you when I threw firecrackers, when throwing bombs. The game is to falsehoods, so just happy. If you feel pain in the game, it means you play the wrong.
    _________________________
    I hope you like it: All CSGO Skins
    I put my thoughts all written here: http://www.csgo4skin.com/

    ReplyDelete