May 20, 2014

Random shopping in Japan

Since a lot of you guys like my shopping blogs I decided to take pictures of what I bought yesterday.

The store LUSH is a natural, vegan friendly beauty products store. It is in a lot of countries and if you are used to it, then you will be happy to know it exists in Japan.

Till last year, the names on the packages were written in Japanese but for some reason they changed it all to English. This made it confusing for me because I forgot what the names of the products I liked in English were, and had to go re-smelling around to find it.

I will let you know right away, since the lush products are made here in Japan their smells vary slightly.



For example, in Canada I used to LOVE leaf lettuce, but the one in Japan doesn't smell anything like it so I can't buy it :(. However I found OATIFIX which is SOOO GOOD I just want to eat it.  In the picture there is a sticker that says "you can't eat this" in Japanese.

I don't know if you have the products above in your country, some of the products are actually only available in Japan at the Japanese lush.

Another one of my addictions is buying organic products. I don't like lots of sugar or all these fake flavored stuff so I prefer to buy organic.

These kabocha waffle cookies are so good. I also bought coconut water which tastes really good, but it has 20g of sugar....thats a lot. I didn't realize that it had so much sugar on it when I look at it.

I am the kinda person who doesn't need to add sugar to anything at all.


The fruit that is seen in this picture is BIWA, figs and plums. Biwa is a type of Japanese fruit that is hard to explain the taste for those who never had it sorry.

I mentioned this before but I hate when people say fruit is expensive in Japan. Sure sometimes it can be, especially when it is off season or high quality brand name. But other times it is really cheap.


Japan also isn't a country that focuses on mass production and low cost production of things. Japan is about quality. Fruit also isn't a major staple for the people of Japan, except for me the girl who eats a whole watermelon per day.


This is something new I came across "Ice plant". I tried searching how to eat it in English but hardly anything came up, which leads me to believe that its not available in English speaking countries. In Japanese there was plenty of articles on it, though this is not a common thing to eat at all.

It looks like a alien, like there are small dew like drops on it but they are hard like rubbery.

If anyone had a starfruit, it tastes like that but without the sweet taste. It was kinda good.

5 comments:

  1. I used to grow ice plants at home. Ice plants are very unique in that almost all plants are very weak to salty soil and very dry climate but ice plants rather like such conditions. So, they survive such a very tough condition in Africa and the Middle East. I like the 歯ごたえ(the texture) of ice plants and the health benefits. I think ice plants were not available much in Tokyo 10 years ago, but since about 5 years ago or so, they have been getting more widely available here(but still not familiar vegetables for Japanese in general, though)

    I agree with you, yes "Japan is about quality". If considering the quality, it's not expensive. I used to live in Sydney(now, Australia is the most expensive country along with Northern Europe), and I noticed it's a matter of the diversity of the price ranges. I mean, there are many immigrants in Australia, and they tend to earn a lot less than non-immigrant Australian people. So, there are 2 price ranges, expensive one for non-immigrant Australian people and cheap one for immigrants who earn relatively less. On the other hand, Japan have a very small number of immigrants/foreign workers, so, we lack the diversity of the price ranges. I mean, most of all Japanese belong to roughly the same income range, so, low priced products are not very available if compared to other countries. It seems Japan have decided to accept more foreign workers, so, things might change slowly though.



    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thank you for the post, I really enjoy your shopping hauls!
    I am familiar with the ice plant since I see it often in my country (Tunisia, north africa), also the BIWA fruit are super delicious, infact we have trees of this fruit in our garden, now its the best season to taste it and I confirm that it tastes like no other fruit, it's UNIQUE <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 LUSH, used to work there. The oatifix is yummy - always smelled like a cookie to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much were those fruits?

    Last time I was in Japan I think I averaged 2000yen/day on fruit, not even the premium fruit just grocery store fruit, and still didn't feel I was meeting my daily produce quota. This time my trip will be more budget restricted, so I'm trying to figure out how I can eat enough fruit and veg on the cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much were those fruits?

    Last time I was in Japan I think I averaged 2000yen/day on fruit, not even the premium fruit just grocery store fruit, and still didn't feel I was meeting my daily produce quota. This time my trip will be more budget restricted, so I'm trying to figure out how I can eat enough fruit and veg on the cheap.

    ReplyDelete