Nov 18, 2012

The many Japanese Kit Kat flavors

Recently my boyfriend went on a business trip to Hiroshima and when he asked me what omiyage お土産 (souvenir) he should bring back for me, I quickly replied KIT KATS! ヾ(◉ฺ∀◉ฺ。)

Now why in the world would I want someone to bring me back Kit Kats on a trip back from another city? Well the reason is, In Hiroshima you can find the limited edition region only kit kats (different flavors!).

If you don't already know, Japan ranks number 1 in most variety of flavors of many things (Pepsi, Kit Kat). In Canada, we are lucky if we get a new flavor of Doritos every few years. However in Japan a new flavor comes out almost every month.

             Ice cucumber pepsi                                   Wasabi Kit Kat

The constant change of flavors can be a good thing and a bad thing. Its good that you look forward to a new flavor to try, it keeps the buyers hungry. On the downside it makes it hard to get flavors that you really love, because they are limited edition. This is called kikan gentei 期間限定.

Not only as a whole country do the flavors change, but certain flavors are only available in different areas of the country (Thats why I asked him to get me Hiroshima Kit Kat bars).

                       Golden citrus blend (mikan, lemon and sudachi)

Kit Kats are so popular in Japan to give away as gifts, that they are available at most air ports. So its actually not abnormal to receive a special region only kit Kat bar as a omiyage.

In Japan there are more than 200 different flavors of Kit Kat bar, some interesting ones include,

Azuki bean

Aloe Vera yogurt 

Potato

Soy sauce


These flavors might sound shocking and strange to you (soy sauce?! how can that be good right?). As strange as some of the flavors might sound, they are not all that bad. A lot of the strange flavors are actually quite good, but it really depends on your tongue.


Doritos in Japan also has their fair share of interesting flavors. Here we have coconut curry flavor.

If you didn't already know karee カレー (curry) is very popular in Japan. It is as part of Japanese cuisine as spaghetti is part of American cuisine.

In Canada, Many people have never even tried curry, yet claim that it is disgusting.
カレーはちょー美味しい何言ってんの? (curry is delicious, wtf are you saying?)

Don't knock it till you try it guys ^^.


18 comments:

  1. Curry is delicious! I love curry it is one of my favourite meals. at home my family makes it a lot because me and my sister love it so much and Japanese Kit Kats can be found in Canada just not many and they are expensive. I have bought them at a small candy shop in Auberdene mall in Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you try Wasabi Kit Kat? I'm very curious about them...
    I tried Aloe Vera Yogurt Kit Kat but I didn't like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not found wasabi Kit Kat, but I am sure its yummy. I LOVE wasabi flavored snacks.

      Delete
    2. The Wasabi Kit-Kats aren't bad, but they don't have much wasabi taste. It's a white chocolate coating that has been infused with a tiny bit of wasabi flavor over the wafers. They are tasty, but a bit disappointing if you are expecting a "Bam-In-Your-Face" wasabi experience.

      Delete
  3. Wait wait wait... Boyfriend?! You mean your ex-husband? Or is there already someone new?? (oAO)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I was thinking. My fiance absolutely hates this girl because she moves to Japan with her, at that time "husband", and then divorces him because he is moving out of the country for a couple of years. WTF?? I almost fell out of my seat when I watched her video. How can you say you love your husband when you refuse to move somewhere for a couple of years because you "LOVE JAPAN". Don't get me wrong I love Japan too and it's an amazing place but GODDAMN GIRL! Now she boasts about how she has a bf, only a couple of months after she gets divorced?! What the hell is that? Honestly, she needs to move back to Canada where she came from because Japan doesn't need parasitic gaijin like her.. I feel ashamed for her. To be honest the only reason I read her blog entries is to entertain myself when I'm extremely bored and need something to laugh at.

      Delete
    2. I have no idea why your fiancé would hate someone for such a personal reason. Good. I don't want people like you to like me. I moved to Japan because he asked me to. This is my home. I do not feel safe in any country. I wouldn't even move back to Canada. It is too dangerous and I do not like the culture. For many reason. One is the fact that you are so up in someone else's business about something. In Japan. People don't go up in people's business about crap like western cultures do.

      Further more. I have the right As a human to move on. Time is valueble. You don't live long. Am I going to cry forever about it ? No.

      How sad does your life look. You read my blogs Because you have nothing better to do? Maybe find a life.

      Delete
  4. When you say Canada isn't safe, can you explain why or what about it is unsafe? I live in Canada myself, so I'm curious! Nice blog, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chances of you being robbed are higher than Japan.
      In Canada people get in fights, have knives, break ins. the crime is just higher.

      In Japan if you lose something, 99% chance someone will return it. In canada. 0.000001% chance.

      Delete
  5. Ah, yea, that's very true come to think of it. Thanks for replying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I buy them from international food stores in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I buy red curry all the time here in canada. They make a frozen dinner at Superstore / Loblaws ... there are other ones to but it's the easiest to get and SO SO tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!!!!! GIMME!!! XD
    I love kit kats.. and I'd be soooo happy to have all those different flavor kit kats as souvenir! Kit kai omiage kudasai (^A^) huhuhu~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can personally vouch for the AMAZINGNESS that is the wasabi kitkat! you get a hint of the wasabi flavour but none of the spice and it's actually delicious. way better than the cheesecake flavours. but i've never tasted a kitkit as good as the creme brulee flavour one i had once. ;__; never to be seen again....

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a curry-loving Canadian myself I have to say that I have never met a single Canadian who dislikes curry, it's a very popular dish and flavour here. In the city I live in there are more Indian restaurants than there are Starbucks and this is not uncommon. Not only do we love Indian curries but thanks to our high Asian population Japanese, Chinese and Thai style curries are also incredibly popular here and can be bought in literally any grocery store. Whenever you talk about Canada I get the impression that when you lived here you were, unfortunately, surrounded by people with very closed minds, probably in a more rural area of the country. This is very uncharacteristic of Canadians in general as we're one of the most multi-cultural societies on Earth, if you ever come back to visit I implore you to take another crack at our food in a major city- I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the wide variety. We're not all squares, I promise ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are either from the GTA or Vancover. In all other small cities there are no curry restraunts. The smaller cities I lived in (less than 200,000 ppl) all had only 3 or less sushi restraunts. Big cities are much more internationalised with food.

      The difference is, no matter where you go in Japan, curry is part of the meals. Its not found in the 'foreign foods' section at a normal store, its just there, in every grocery store. Curry is part of the Japanese flavor.
      However, curry is not part of Canadian food. That is the difference.

      Delete
    2. Curry is part of Japanese culture? Then, you should have tried the Indian curry. Japanese curry taste sweet to me, while Indian curry taste salty and uses a lot of different herbs and spices. I preferred the Indian curry, and to eat it with prata (a flat-dough or bread), Japanese friends who have tasted it simply love it.
      By the way, I lived in Singapore, a food-paradise. It's interesting to read your blog.

      Delete